Sugarcreek Borough Council member Tom Hartle has resigned his position amid criminal charges that have been filed against him.
Borough manager Joe Sporer said Hartle was asked to resign last week.
Hartle is facing charges in connection with an incident in which he is accused of sending unsolicited obscene pictures to a woman.
Hartle has been charged with misdemeanor counts of stalking and harassment.
“It was very surprising,” Sporer said of the allegations against Hartle.
Hartle was elected to Sugarcreek council in November as a write-in candidate. He defeated former council president Bogan Goughler by a 78-63 margin.
Council will have 45 days to fill Hartle’s 2nd Ward seat.
The panel’s April meeting that was scheduled tonight has been canceled, and council will most likely need to schedule an emergency meeting where the candidates will be interviewed.
The panel will then make an appointment at its May 6 meeting.
Sporer said Hartle’s resignation is merely a “bump in the road,” and he still believes the borough is on the right track to success.