No one hurt in fire at OC residence

Oil City firefighters were dispatched Monday afternoon to a blaze at 118 Cowell Ave. Fire captain Dennis Alcorn said the damage was minimal. (Submitted photo)Oil City firefighters were dispatched Monday afternoon to a blaze at 118 Cowell Ave. Fire captain Dennis Alcorn said the damage was minimal. (Submitted photo)
From staff reports

A fire Monday at a residence at 118 Cowell Ave. in Oil City is believed to have been caused by a malfunctioning electrical appliance.

“It appeared to be a malfunctioning piece of equipment in the basement,” Oil City fire captain Dennis Alcorn said. “We’re guessing a dehumidifier.”

No one was home when the fire started at about 2:15 p.m. Monday, and there were no injuries.

David Kratzer, a postal worker, had smelled smoke and called 911.

“I could hear the smoke detectors going off in the house and definitely smelled an electrical fire,” Kratzer said.

Kratzer said he made the decision to call 911 after he was unable find anyone at the house or any nearby neighbors.

The fire caused minimal structural damage and light smoke damage, according to Alcorn. He added that the homeowner, Julia Morris, has insurance.

Firefighters cleared the scene at about 3:20 p.m.

Seneca and Franklin firefighters and Community Ambulance Service personnel were also on the scene.