Man facing charges for OC crash, incident at hospital

A Wyoming man has been charged with resisting arrest, DUI and several other offenses following a crash late Sunday night in Oil City.

Oil City police said the man then fought with officers and security personnel at UPMC Northwest when he was taken to the hospital after the crash.

Frank Baron, 55, of Alpine, Wyoming, was headed south in a black pickup truck in the left lane on Main Street near Relief Street at about 10:15 p.m. Sunday when his vehicle struck a semi truck that was traveling north, Oil City police said.

Police said in a criminal complaint that the driver of the semi truck swerved to miss the pickup but was still struck on the passenger side gas tank, which caused a diesel fuel spill on the roadway.

Oil City firefighters said about 50 gallons of diesel spilled onto the road.

Police said Baron showed signs of intoxication and was unable to walk to the sidewalk without help. He was arrested when he refused to submit to sobriety tests, police said.

Baron also refused to have his blood drawn at UPMC Northwest, according to police.

Police were granted a search warrant and took him to have blood drawn, the complaint said. Baron told police at UPMC Northwest that he would fight if he had to give blood, according to the complaint.

Baron refused to remove his jacket and resisted police who tried to remove it, the complaint said.

An officer and security guard restrained Baron, who then began to overpower them, forcing an officer to use a Taser weapon on his leg, according to the complaint.

Baron laughed, told the officer to use the Taser again and continued to fight, the complaint said.

The officer used the weapon on Baron again in the leg, the complaint said.

Baron continued to resist until five hospital staff and the officer held him down while the nurse drew blood, the complaint said.

Baron was then taken back to the Oil City police station without incident, the complaint said.

He has been charged with misdemeanor counts of DUI, resisting arrest, endangering another person, disorderly conduct, and numerous traffic violations.

He was arraigned Monday before district judge Andrew Fish and placed in Venango County jail after failing to post bail.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled today in Central Court.