Franklin’s annual Light Up Night, set for Saturday, Nov. 17, will kick off with an early visit from Santa at 4 p.m. Santa will be escorted into the city by the Franklin Fire Department and dropped off at the Franklin chamber office. Local schools, service groups, churches, businesses and community organizations will use colorful lights and other materials to create holiday floats to participate in the night’s parade.
After the parade, the Franklin High School Madrigal Singers will conduct the caroling until the countdown for the lighting of the community tree commences.
Light Up Night has a long history. “(Light Up Night) began sometime in the ‘80s on the steps of the courthouse. There was caroling, cookies, cocoa and a lighting of the downtown decorations. Sometime in the ‘90s we added the parade. It was a small parade,” said Ronnie Beith, marketing director for the city.
Here are the events on tap:
– There will be a fall craft bazaar from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at The Caring Place, 103 N. 13th St.
– The DeBence Antique Music World will hold $5 tours from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
– The Franklin Library will host a Cookie Walk Bake Sale from the Franklin Library to the corner of 12th and Buffalo streets.
– The Christmas Tree Extravaganza will be held from 1 to 9 p.m. in the lobby of the Barrow-Civic Theatre. At the extravaganza there will be carolers and holiday treats.
– Santa Claus will make an appearance from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the Franklin Chamber, 1255 Liberty St.
– Rhapsody In Blues will perform from 4 to 4:45 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church, 1250 Elk St.
– Also at the First Presbyterian Church will be free hot dogs and cocoa from 4 to 5:30 p.m.
– David DeMarco with Tammi Dahl and Nathaniel Licht will perform at 5:30 p.m. in front of Fountain Park.
– Free cocoa and cookies will be offered by St. Patrick’s School from 5 to 8 p.m. at Edward Jones, 1240 Liberty St.
– The Franklin Light Up Night parade will commence at 6 p.m. The parade will occur on Liberty Street, beginning 13th Street and ending on 11th Street.
– After the parade, there will be caroling, the lighting of community tree and the Pyrotechnico Fireworks Extravaganza.
For more information, people may call 437-1619 or visit www.franklinpa.gov.