Franklin man accused of assaulting boy

VE-Front-Page

A Franklin man is facing charges after he allegedly cut off the airways of a juvenile boy during an altercation last month at a Pacific Street residence.

A criminal complaint filed through district judge Andrew Fish’s office said Franklin police received a form from Venango County Children and Youth Services regarding the assault of a juvenile boy by 30-year-old Charles Hale Jr. at their home on Feb. 9.

Prior to the incident, the boy was trying to stop an argument between his mother and Hale, her boyfriend, the complaint said.

The boy said he watched Hale shove his mother, so he stepped between them and yelled at Hale, the complaint said.

Once the fight had dissolved, the boy said Hale grabbed him from behind and placed a hand over his mouth and nose, the complaint said.

The boy said he couldn’t get away and was unable to breathe. He said his mother had to pull Hale’s hand away in order for Hale to leave the boy alone, the complaint said.

Hale is facing a felony count of strangulation and misdemeanor counts of simple assault and recklessly endangering another person, in addition to a summary count of harassment.

He was arraigned before Fish and released on $15,000 unsecured bail.

A preliminary hearing is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday in Central Court.