Serves 4 as an appetizer
1 cup tamari
1/2 cup honey, preferably sage honey
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 whole rack baby back ribs (about 2 pounds)
1 small Meyer lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
2. Combine the tamari, honey and garlic cloves in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, but watch carefully so the mixture does not burn. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, place the rack of ribs in a deep baking pan. Add 1 cup water, or enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake the ribs for 45 minutes.
4. Remove the water from the baking pan and brush the marinade on the ribs. Bake, uncovered, basting frequently with the marinade, for 30 minutes longer, or until thoroughly cooked.
5. To bring a crisp finish to the ribs, preheat the broiler or prepare a hot fire in a charcoal or gas grill. Broil or grill the ribs just until crispy, watching carefully to prevent burning.
6. Squeeze the Meyer lemon over the ribs just before serving. Cool, cut and enjoy!
Laurey Masterton, “The Fresh Honey Cookbook”